- Ministry of Urban Development is the nodal Ministry for promotion of barrier-free built environment for the disabled and elderly persons as envisaged in Section 46 of The Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995.
- Ministry of Urban Development has prepared Model Building Bye-Laws which contain provisions for improving access to various public buildings by disabled and elderly persons. These Building Bye-Laws have been sent to the State Governments, Union Territories, Delhi Development Authority, Municipal Corporation of Delhi, New Delhi Municipal Committee etc. for adoption. 16 States/UTs have already notified the amended building bye-laws and 6 States/UTs are in process of amending the building bye laws. Rests of the States/UTs are being pursued.
- All the State Governments have been requested to designate an official in each district for bringing cases of non-compliance to the notice of the concerned authorities.
- Ministry of Urban Development has drawn an Action Plan for implementation of Action Points identified for Ministry of Urban Development for the empowerment of Persons with Disabilities. Ministry of Urban Development has initiated access audit of 50 important buildings in Delhi for promoting Barrier Free external and internal built environment. Instructions have been issued to CPWD to provide barrier free environment in all the Central Government buildings. Attempts shall be made to provide barrier free environment in all major Government buildings outside Delhi also within next 3 years.
- The issues of providing barrier free built environment has been taken up in meetings with state Government. The ministry will also take steps to raise awareness as envisaged in its action plan.
P.S.: To open
file, you need Adobe Acrobat Reader.